Female Genital Mutilation and safeguarding children course
CPD-accredited training. Designed for professionals working with children, young people and adults. The focus is in improving practitioner's understanding of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and the importance of multi-agency working and engagement with communities.
CDP Standards Office accredited course ref no 60036/33.
This is a sample training course outline. It is based on approximately 25 delegates, trained at your premises. It can be adapted to your organisation’s training and CPD requirements. Contact us to arrange an in-house customised course.
The course will introduce:
- What is FGM and different types
- Health consequences
- Reasons why it is performed
- Its relationship with other harmful practices
- Legislation and guidance
- Professional roles and responsibilities
- Risk factors and assessing risk
- Hearing the voice of survivors
- Community engagement and engaging with men
- Interviewing skills
- Evidence based interventions
- To gain a better understanding about FGM, why it is performed, where it is performed, prevalence data, health consequences and its relationship with other harmful practices
- To gain a clear understanding of the safeguarding roles and responsibilities for and their partners
- To understand the fundamental need for joint working, communication and information-sharing to support good safeguarding in relation to FGM
- To develop an understanding of the different models of intervention
- To explore risk factors, how to assess risk and where to access support services
- To develop interviewing skills to broach the topic and interview children and young people and parents
- To gain a clear understanding of legislation and guidance, and how these affect practice
- To considered how different personal and professionals beliefs and attitudes can have an impact when working with families and on multi-agency working
Learning outcomes can be bespoke to commissioner’s needs.
Who should attend
This course is designed to meet the needs of all professionals.
Half day or Full day